The Ethical Design Laboratory responds to current concerns about the social impact of design locally and globally.
EDL aims to conduct research into the development of products and services that have an ethical value. This does not only entail those products that adapt existing designs to more sustainable processes, such as electric cars. It also includes the design of new products that have a specifically ethical value, which have an important role in defining social relationships. EDL is located in the RMIT Centre for Design (see website).
On 7 November, EDL will host a roundtable ‘The Bigger Picture: A Roundtable on Current Directions in Ethical Design’ with the Design Research Institute. The purpose of this event is to explore common issues in research dealing with the ethical dimension of design and to start building a network of researchers across Australia in this field.
- Kevin Murray, Adjunct Professor, RMIT
- Professor Tim Scrase, Associate Dean (Research), Australian Catholic University
- Associate Professor Shaun McVeigh, University of Melbourne Law School
- Associate Professor Soumitri Varadarajan, RMIT Industrial Design
- Jo Cramer, Lecturer, RMIT Fashion
- Olivia Guntarik, Lecture, Media & Communication